John Cena, an American professional wrestler, rapper, and actor, is perhaps WWE’s biggest superstar. An employee of the Gold’s Gym in Venice Beach pushed Cena to pursue a career in professional wrestling.
He garnered a sizeable fan following appearing on the UPN reality TV show ‘Manhunt’ and later became a part of the WWE main roster. He gained widespread recognition when he defeated JBL to secure his first WWE Championship. Over the course of his career, he achieved an impressive total of 25 championships, solidifying his status as one of the greatest WWE wrestlers of all time. Cena captivated his fans by adopting various personas, including the semi-robotic character known as ‘The Prototype’ and the rap persona ‘Doctor of Thuganomics.’
He is also a successful actor with films like ‘The Marine’, ‘Trainwreck’, ’12 Rounds’, ‘The Reunion’, and ‘Sisters’.
Born: April 23, 1977 in West Newbury, Massachusetts, USA
Birth name: John Felix Anthony Cena
Nicknames: Prototype, Dr. of Thuganomics, The Franchise, The Marine, The Champ, The Chain Gang, Soldier, Super Cena, The Face of the WWE, The Face That Runs The Place
Height: 6′ 1″ (1.85 m)
On April 23, 1977, John Felix Anthony Cena Jr. was born in West Newbury, Massachusetts. Cena is one of John and Carol Cena’s five sons, along with Stephen, Dan, Matt, John, and Sean. After completing his high school education at the private prep boarding school Cushing Academy, he enrolled at Springfield College in Massachusetts and played football there. He graduated from college in 1998 with a degree in exercise physiology. In addition to pursing a bodybuilding career, Cena worked as a limo driver to help support his family.
In his personal life, Cena got married to Elizabeth Huberdeau, his then-fiancée, in July 2009, but in May 2012, he filed for divorce. Their challenging divorce became widely known, but they managed to reconcile in July of that year.
Cena started dating Nikki Bella, who is also a WWE superstar, in 2012. After a tag team match victory at Wrestlemania 33 on April 2, 2017, where they defeated The Miz and Maryse, Cena proposed to Bella. However, their engagement came to an end in April 2018, and they briefly reconciled before announcing their separation. In the following year, the wrestler began a relationship with engineer Shay Shariatzadeh. They eventually got married in October 2020.
John Cena has a $80 million net worth as of 2023 making him one of the highest paid wwe wrestlers in the world. It’s important to mention that Cena made a lot of money through various sources. He earned it from wrestling in WWE, acting in movies and TV, and from advertising deals. He also started his own fitness program and sold merchandise.
In short, Cena is seen as one of the most successful and richest wrestlers ever. His wealth and earnings show how popular and successful he is in entertainment and business.
- 3x World Heavyweight Championship
- 13x WWE Championship
- 5x Unites States Championship
- 10x Slammy Awards
- 4x Tag Team Championship – with Shawn Michaels, the Miz, Batista and David Otunga
- Royal Rumble (2008,2013)
- Money in the Bank (2012)
- Move of the year (2010)
- Game Changer of the year (2011)
- Insult of the year (2012)
- Kiss of the year (2012)
- Match of the year (2013,2014)
- Hero in all of us (2015)
- Superstar of the year (2009,2010,2012)
- John Cena began weightlifting as a means to confront bullies and build his confidence.
- John Cena is an avid sports car enthusiast, with a special affection for high-performance vehicles.
- John Cena has showcased his creativity by authoring multiple children’s books, inspiring young readers.
- John Cena surprised the world with the success of his hit rap album, “You Can’t See Me.”
- In his early career, John Cena faced challenging times, even resorting to living in his car to pursue his wrestling dreams.
- John Cena cherishes his rivalry with Dwayne Johnson, which has become legendary in the world of professional wrestling.
- Before his wrestling career, John Cena was a college football player, showcasing his athleticism.
- John Cena holds a remarkable record for granting wishes through the Make-A-Wish Foundation, brightening the lives of countless children.
- John Cena’s talents go beyond the ring as he impressively speaks Mandarin, showcasing his linguistic abilities.