David Robert Joseph Beckham is a former English professional footballer. Throughout his illustrious career, he achieved global recognition for his exceptional performances, particularly as a midfielder. Beckham’s journey began in his hometown of London, where he played for various local clubs before embarking on his development as a young player in the prestigious Manchester United training program.
David Beckham achieved success at Manchester United during the club’s unparalleled winning streak in the mid and late 1990s. He achieved the prestigious ‘treble’ with Manchester United and later continued his career with Real Madrid, AC Milan, Paris Saint-Germain, and the Major League Soccer team LA Galaxy in the United States. David Beckham was also an important member of England’s ‘Golden Generation’ and captained the team for much of his career; yet, the team did not achieve the success that was expected of it.
Beckham also established himself as a prominent figure in the world of endorsements, consistently ranking among the highest paid athletes throughout his career.
Born: May 2, 1975 in Leytonstone, London, England, UK
Birth name: David Robert Joseph Beckham
Nicknames: Dave, Becks, Golden Balls, DB7
Height: 5′ 11″ (1.80 m)
David Robert Joseph Beckham was born on May 2, 1975, in Leytonstone, London, England, to parents David Edward Alan Beckham and Sandra Georgina. His father worked as an appliance repairman, and his mother was a hairdresser. Beckham grew up with his two sisters.
As a child, David Beckham attended Chase Lane Primary School and later Chingford County High School. But even in his early years, he was more passionate about playing football. He joined a local team called Ridgeway Rovers.
Beckham went on trials at several clubs like Norwich City and Leyton Orient, but it was at the Tottenham Hotspur football club’s School of Excellence where his football journey began to take shape. He also had a successful stint with the Brimsdown Rovers team. However, the turning point in his life came when he was accepted into the Youth Training Scheme at Manchester United in 1991.
In personal life, after dating Victoria Adams, who is famous as ‘Posh Spice’ from the Spice Girls, for two years, David Beckham married her on July 4, 1999. They have four children together: three boys named Brooklyn, Romeo, and Cruz, and one girl named Harper Seven.
There were rumors, reported by the now-closed tabloid ‘News of the World,’ that David Beckham had been involved with his personal assistant Rebecca Loos and model Sarah Marbeck. However, Beckham strongly denied these allegations.
David Beckham’s wealth is a result of his career as a globally renowned athlete and his ownership of various franchises. Despite retiring from soccer in 2013, he remains actively involved in the leadership of Inter Miami, a professional soccer club located in Florida.
According to Insider, David and Victoria Beckham have a net worth of roughly $514 million. He apparently enjoys buying art, premium cars, and overseas real estate.
Beckham also adores collecting body art, which is seen in his several underwear ads. According to The Mirror, his 60-plus tattoos cost him more than $65,000 in 2015.
- First English player to win league titles in four countries: England, France, Spain, and the United States.
- First English player to score at 3 FIFA World Cups.
- Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year (1996-97)
- UEFA Club Footballer of the Year (1998-99)
- England Player of the Year (2003)
- Best Male Soccer Player (2004)
- Goal of the Decade for his goal against Wimbledon on 17th August 1996 while playing for Manchester United.
- Teen Choice Award (Choice Male Athlete, 2010)
- He has two middle names: Robert and Joseph.
- A fun football fact is that when he played for Real Madrid, David had to pick a new jersey number because his old number, #7, was already taken. He chose #23 because it was the same number worn by Michael Jordan.
- In 2008, he was put into the English Football Hall of Fame.
- Beckham suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
- The movie “Bend it Like Beckham” drew inspiration from David Beckham, featuring a young Indian girl who aspired to play soccer just like him.
- His house in England is sometimes jokingly called “Beckingham Palace.”